- Appointed Senior Hearing Committee Member to Pennsylvania Attorney Disciplinary Board, 2011
- ADR Options, Inc., Approved Mediator and Arbitrator, 2011
Philip M. Hof is one of the few trial lawyers in the Lehigh Valley who is a board-certified Civil Trial Specialist. Since 2010, Mr. Hof has been recognized nearly every year by Philadelphia Magazine as 1 of the top 100 lawyers in Pennsylvania. Since 2006, Mr. Hof has also been selected by Philadelphia Magazine as one of Pennsylvania's Super Lawyers -- a distinction reserved for only 5% of the attorneys in Pennsylvania.
Mr. Hof is a member of the County Bar Associations of both Northampton and Lehigh Counties. In practice since 1980, Mr. Hof represents individuals injured as the result of auto and trucking negligence and malpractice. His experience includes having served as law clerk for the Northampton County Court of Common Pleas and also serving as President of the Northampton County Bar Association. He is a governor, lifetime ex officio, of the Pennsylvania Association of Justice (Formerly known as the Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association).
Mr. Hof has earned an AV rating through Martindale Hubbell, the leading national lawyer directory, indicating the highest rating for competency and ethics that is awarded.
Following the attacks on 9/11, Mr. Hof was recognized by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America for his pro bono representation before the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund of the family of an electrical engineer who perished when the Towers collapsed.
Mr. Hof is a Senior Hearing Officer for the Pennsylvania Supreme Court's Lawyer Disciplinary Board.
Mr. Hof has served and continues to serve as a faculty member for continuing education seminars for legal professionals, including seminars organized by the Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Northampton County Bar Association, and Bar Association of Lehigh County.
Mr. Hof is a President of the Donald E. Wieand Inn of Court of Lehigh County. In 2016, he was appointed by Governor Tom Wolf to serve as a member of the Governor's Regional Advisory Commission on qualifications of candidate for judge.
In addition, Mr. Hof has a wealth of experience with alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration, and is a Mcare-approved mediator and is affiliated with ADR Options, Inc. He has been appointed and serves as an approved arbitrator for the federal District Court for the Eastern District.
Mr. Hof lives in Palmer Township. He is married and has one son, two daughters, five grandchildren and two beloved Golden Retrievers. He enjoys running, having completed three New York City Marathons and, in 2007 and 2012, the Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon as a member of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team In Training.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury 90%
- Medical Malpractice 10%
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1995 - Present
- Pennsylvania, 1980
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1982
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1991
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- University of Tulsa College of Law, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- J.D. – 1980
- Law Review: University of Tulsa Law Review, Member, 1978 – 1980
- Long Island University, Greenvale, New York
- B.A. magna cum laude – 1977
- Major: Philosophy
- Self-Driving Vehicles, The Good The Bad and The Inevitable, Network Magazine of the Lehigh Valley, 2017
- Upgrade Your Case from Mediation to Settlement, The Legal Intelligencer (online subscription), 2015
- Legal for Less, and Insurance Tragedy, Network Magazine of the Lehigh Valley, 2015
- Mr. Hof primarily represents injured clients, but he also serves as personal counsel to the families of Mario, Michael, and Marco Andretti and the Andretti Autosport Race Team.
- Arbitration, Mediation and Settlement Agreements, Pennsylvania Association of Justice, January 17, 2019
- ADR for All: A Look Behind the Curtain at How to Do It Right, October 2018
- What’s It Worth:nEvaluating and Settling Personal Injury Cases, Pennsylvania Association for Justice, 03/10/2015
- Winning Before Trial – Effective and Exciting Discovery Tips and Strategies, Donald E. Wieand Barristers’ Inn of Court, 11/19/2014
- Discovery Practice in the Personal Injury Case, Northampton County Bar Association’s Continuing Legal Education Series, 06/06/2013
- Impact of the Fair Share Act on Cases in the ADR Setting, PBI, 04/09/2013
- What’s It Worth: Evaluating & Settling Personal Injury Cases, Pennsylvania Association for Justice, 03/19/2013
- Cross-Examination of a Physician, an Instructional61st Annual Meeting of Lehigh County Medical Society and Bar Association of Lehigh County, 09/11/2012
- What's It Worth: Evaluating & Settling Personal Injury Cases, Pennsylvania Association of Justice, 03/09/2012 to Present
- Joint and Several Liability, Pennsylvania Association of Justice, 07/28/2011 to Present
- Tort Reform, Medical Malpractice & Joint and Several Liability, WFMZ-TV "Business Matters", 01/26/2011 to Present
- Liability Avoidance, Annual I-Day Conference of Insurance Professionals, 11/04/2010
- Automobile Insurance and Wrongful Death & Survival Actions, Northampton County Community College, People's Law School, 10/07/2010
- Use of Technology in Witness Cross Examination, Donald E. Wieand Barristers' Inns of Court, 09/22/2010
- Panel Chair, Federal Practice, Pitfalls and Tips: Law Clerks Spill All, Northampton County Bar Association, 05/05/2010
- Panel Chair, Injunction and Equity Practice, Northampton County Bar Association, 10/16/2009
- Tort Reform: Better Medicine or Justice Denied?, WFMZ-TV "Business Matters", 11/12/2008
- Panel Chair: E-Discovery and Computer Forensics, Northampton County Bar Association, 09/24/2008
- Recent Trends in Tort Reform and Civil Litigation, WFMZ-TV "Business Matters", 01/05/2008
- Medical Malpractice Avoidance, Northampton County Medical Society, 11/12/2007
- Medicare Subrogation, Northampton County Bar Association, 04/18/2007
- Arbitration, Mediation, and Settlement Agreements, Pennsylvania Association for Justice, 01/17/2019
- ADR For All: A Look Behind The Curtain At How To Do It Right, Northampton County Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, 10/06/2018
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers of PA - This is not a court accreditation, it is a strong vote of confidence from fellow lawyers.
- "AV" Rating - Martindale
- Northampton County Pro Bono Award, 2008
- Top 100 Lawyers in Pennsylvania, most years from 2010 - Present
- Bronze Medal Recipient (third place) in the Legal Intelligencer's Fifth Annual "Best of" poll for Best individual mediator
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Northampton County Bar Association, 1980 to Present
- Northampton County Bar Association, Bar President, 1993
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, 1980 to Present
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice (formerly Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association), Board of Governors, 2001 to Present
- American Association for Justice, 1985 to Present
- Bar Association of Lehigh County
- Donald E. Wieand Barristers' Inn of Court, President, 2017 to 2019
Past Employment Positions
- County of Northampton, Judicial Law Clerk, 1980 to 1981
- County of Northampton, Asst District Attorney, 1982 to 1986
Pro Bono Activities
- Fund to Benefit Children and Youth, Inc.
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Team in Training