Philip M. Hof
Philip M. Hof is one of the few trial lawyers in the Lehigh Valley who is a board-certified Civil Trial Specialist. Since 2010, Mr. Hof has been recognized every year by Philadelphia Magazine as 1 of the top 100 lawyers in Pennsylvania. Since 2006, Mr. Hof has also been selected by Philadelphia Magazine as one of Pennsylvania's Super Lawyers -- a distinction reserved for only 5% of the attorneys in Pennsylvania.
Mr. Hof is a member of the County Bar Associations of both Northampton and Lehigh Counties. In practice since 1980, Mr. Hof represents individuals injured as the result of negligence or malpractice. His experience includes having served as law clerk for the Northampton County Court of Common Pleas and also serving as President of the Northampton County Bar Association. He is a governor of the Pennsylvania Association of Justice (Formerly known as the Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association).
Mr. Hof has earned an AV rating through Martindale Hubbell, the leading national lawyer directory, indicating the highest rating for competency and ethics that is awarded.
Following the attacks on 9/11, Mr. Hof was recognized by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America for his pro bono representation before the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund of the family of an electrical engineer who perished when the Towers collapsed.
Mr. Hof is a Senior Hearing Officer for the Supreme Court's Lawyer Disciplinary Board.
Mr. Hof has served and continues to serve as a faculty member for continuing education seminars for legal professionals, including seminars organized by the Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Northampton County Bar Association, and Bar Association of Lehigh County.
Mr. Hof is a Counselor and President-Elect of the Wieand Inn of Court of Lehigh County. In 2016, he was appointed by Governor Tom Wolf to serve as a member of the Governor's Regional Advisory Commission.
In addition, Mr. Hof has significant experience with alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration, and has been an approved mediator and arbitrator for ADR Options, Inc. since February of 2011.
Mr. Hof lives in Palmer Township. He is married and has one son, two daughters, three grandchildren and a beloved Golden Retriever. He enjoys running, having completed three New York City Marathons and, in 2007 and 2012, the Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon as a member of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team In Training.
Areas of Practice
- 75% Personal Injury
- 15% Medical Malpractice
- 10% Commercial Litigation
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1995
- Pennsylvania, 1980
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1982
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1991
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- University of Tulsa College of Law, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- J.D. - 1980
- Law Review: University of Tulsa Law Review, Member, 1978 - 1980
- Long Island University, Greenvale, New York
- B.A. magna cum laude - 1977
- Major: Philosophy
- Mr. Hof primarily represents injured clients, but he also serves as personal counsel to the families of Mario, Michael, and Marco Andretti and the Andretti Autosport Race Team.
- What's It Worth: Evaluating & Settling Personal Injury Cases, Pennsylvania Association of Justice, March 9, 2012 - Present
- Joint and Several Liability, Pennsylvania Association of Justice, July 28, 2011 - Present
- Tort Reform, Medical Malpractice & Joint and Several Liability, WFMZ-TV "Business Matters", January 26, 2011 - Present
- Liability Avoidance, Annual I-Day Conference of Insurance Professionals, November 4, 2010 - Present
- Automobile Insurance and Wrongful Death & Survival Actions, Northampton County Community College, People's Law School, October 7, 2010 - Present
- Use of Technology in Witness Cross Examination, Donald E. Wieand Barristers' Inns of Court, September 22, 2010 - Present
- Panel Chair, Federal Practice, Pitfalls and Tips: Law Clerks Spill All, Northampton County Bar Association, May 5, 2010 - Present
- Panel Chair, Injunction and Equity Practice, Northampton County Bar Association, October 16, 2009 - Present
- Tort Reform: Better Medicine or Justice Denied?, WFMZ-TV "Business Matters", November 12, 2008 - Present
- Panel Chair: E-Discovery and Computer Forensics, Northampton County Bar Association, September 24, 2008 - Present
- Recent Trends in Tort Reform and Civil Litigation, WFMZ-TV "Business Matters", January 5, 2008 - Present
- Medical Malpractice Avoidance, Northampton County Medical Society, November 12, 2007 - Present
- Medicare Subrogation, Northampton County Bar Association, April 18, 2007 - Present
- Cross-Examination of a Physician, an Instructional61st Annual Meeting of Lehigh County Medical Society and Bar Association of Lehigh County, September 11, 2012 - Present
- What’s It Worth: Evaluating & Settling Personal Injury Cases, Pennsylvania Association for Justice , March 19, 2013 - Present
- Impact of the Fair Share Act on Cases in the ADR Setting, PBI, April 9, 2013 - Present
- Discovery Practice in the Personal Injury Case, Northampton County Bar Association’s Continuing Legal Education Series, June 6, 2013 - Present
- Winning Before Trial – Effective and Exciting Discovery Tips and Strategies, Donald E. Wieand Barristers’ Inn of Court, November 19, 2014 - Present
- What’s It Worth: Evaluating and Settling Personal Injury Cases, Pennsylvania Association for Justice, March 10, 2015 - Present
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers of PA - This is not a court accreditation, it is a strong vote of confidence from fellow lawyers., 2006 - 2017
- "AV" Rating - Martindale
- Northampton County Pro Bono Award, 2008 - Present
- Top 100 Lawyers in Pennsylvania, 2010 - Present
- Bronze Medal Recipient (third place) in the Legal Intelligencer's Fifth Annual "Best of" poll for the best individual mediator
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, 2015 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Northampton County Bar Association, 1980 - Present
- Northampton County Bar Association, President, 1983 - Present
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, 1980 - Present
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice (formerly Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association), Board of Governors, 2001 - Present
- American Association for Justice, 1985 - Present
- Bar Association of Lehigh County
- Donald E. Wieand Barristers' Inn of Court
Past Employment Positions
- County of Northampton, Judicial Law Clerk, 1980 - 1981
- County of Northampton, Asst District Attorney, 1982 - 1986
Pro Bono Activities
- Fund to Benefit Children and Youth, Inc.
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Team in Training